Thursday, July 14, 2005
In the name of Allah, the Most Benevolent, the Most Merciful

Assalamu'alaikum dear sisters,

The halakah at Sr Faridah's home in Redmond about two weeks ago now was my first. It was such a wonderful congregation of ladies of various races & nationalities.

Sister Leslie, your beautiful Quran recitation, from memory, was impressive; it touched me at the core of my being. I'm ashamed to say that I am a born Muslim, but I do not know very much about my own religion.
I'm not even able to read the Quran like that. I was raised by a single mother who worked exceedingly long hours as she struggled to sustain 4 children. So, during a childhood spent being a substitute parent for my younger siblings, I did not have the privilege of religious education in my growing up years. Seeing what a convert is capable of reminds me that as long as I have breath, it is not too late & that there is much I can do to bring myself closer to Allah swt.

The story of another sister, about how she came to embrace Islam, that moved everyone to laughter & tears, also touched me deeply. It was an evening well spent. I felt truly blessed to be part of the group. In the early hours of the following morning, I got the inspiration to write a poem. I call it "Believer" & I would like to dedicate it to all of you, especially the wife of our Bellevue mosque Imam who led the group (I hope you & your family arrived safely in Pakistan):

Believer

Fashioned out of clay
Ruh blown into you
God's loving creation
Yes that is true

The wonders of Allah
Don't need to be told
If you care to look
They're there to behold

Every living creature
Especially you and me
Bears witness to the Greatness
That's Allah Almighty

Blessed are the thinkers
The faithful and the meek
Allah's grace & pardon
With every breath they seek

Higher than the mountains
Deeper than the sea
Allah loves us dearly
So Merciful is He

Make me a Believer
On siratalmustaqim
Humbled by God's glory
Living by His deen

I hope you like it. May God keep us in His grace. Amin.

A week later, on the weekend of the 4th of July, I enjoyed gorgeous weather and scenery in Eastern Washington on a short trip to Grand Coulee Dam. The haunting beauty and grandeur of the places I saw, primarily Steamboat Rock National Park, inspired another poem, which I would also like to share with you.

Ya Allah Almighty

So Glorious is He
The best of His Creations
Is the miracle that's me

How do I ever thank You
For the blessings that You give
Please help me to remember
Each and every day I live

I want to shout for all to hear
I'm so happy that You're here
Precious and priceless is this gift
With this knowledge my spirit You lift

Ya Allah Ya Rabbi
Omnipotent is He
Only You have the Power
Open my eyes make me see

Only You do I worship
Surrender to and trust
The Ruler of all ages
The Judge the truly just

Please pray for me. Thank you.

Wassalam,
Your sister in Islam, Anita


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



 
   
 
Pengajian Assyifa December 19, 2001
Daisypath Ticker